Geoff Ball, PhD
Office: Unit 8B Pediatric Centre for Weight and Health,
Mail: Edmonton General Community Care Centre, 11111 Jasper Ave Edmonton Alberta, T5K 0L4
Associate Professor, Department Pediatrics; Adjunct Professor, Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science; Adjunct Professor, School of Public Health
Pediatric obesity, weight management, physical activity, nutrition, body composition, cardiometabolic risk
My research in pediatric obesity takes a number of different methodological approaches that include clinical trials, qualitative inquiry, epidemiology, reviews, and clinical studies, with the overarching goal of generating new knowledge that can optimize weight management care for children and youth with obesity.
Current Research Activities
The majority of this research occurs within the Pediatric Centre for Weight and Health (PCWH), a research-based, clinical program at the Stollery Children’s Hospital. The PCWH is part of Alberta Health Services’ Obesity Initiative, a provincial initiative developed to help prevent and manage obesity in children, youth, and adults. Current research projects include:
- Comparing different group-based, parent-focused interventions for the management of obesity in 8 – 12 year olds;
- Working with primary care to prevent obesity in children and youth;
- Understanding families’ decisions regarding initiating, continuing, and terminating weight management care.
Young Investigator Award, Canadian Paediatric Society (2011)
New Investigator, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2007 – 2012)
Population Health Investigator, Alberta Innovates – Health Solutions (2005 – 2012)
- Farnesi BC, Ball GDC, Newton MS. Family-professional relations in pediatric weight management: An integrative review. Pediatric Obesity 2012;7:175-86.
- Friedman A, Bennett T, Barbarich BN, Keaschuk KA, Ball GDC. Overweight children’s portion size estimation accuracy from perception varies by estimation method and food type. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012;112:302-7.
- Farnesi BC, Newton MS, Holt NL, Sharma AM, Ball GDC. Exploring collaboration between clinicians and parents to optimize pediatric weight management. Patient Education and Counselling 2012;87:10-7.
- Ball GDC, Mackenzie KA, Newton MS, Alloway CA, Slack JM, Plotnikoff RC, Goran MI. One-on-one lifestyle coaching for managing adolescent obesity: Experience from a real-world, clinical setting. Paediatrics and Child Health 2011;16:346-55.
- Johnson ST, Chopra M, Newton MS, Huang TT-K, Franks PW, Buckingham J, Jetha MM, Ball GDC. In search of quality evidence for lifestyle management and glycemic control in children and adolescents with type 2 diabetes: A systematic review. BMC Pediatrics 2010;10:97.
- Ambler KA, Hagedorn D, Ball GDC. Referrals for pediatric weight management: The importance of proximity. BMC Health Services Research 2010;10:302.
- Ball GDC, Ambler KA, Chanoine JP. Pediatric weight management programs in Canada: Where, what, and how? International Journal of Pediatric Obesity 2010 Jun;6(2-2):e58-61. Epub 2010 Aug 30.
- Johnson ST, Mackenzie KA, Kuk J, Huang TT-K, Rosychuk RJ, Ball GDC. Metabolic risk varies according to waist circumference measurement site in overweight children and adolescents. Journal of Pediatrics 2010;156:247-52.
- Holt NL, Moylan BA, Spence JC, Lenk JM, Sehn ZL, Ball GDC. Treatment preferences of overweight youth and their parents in Western Canada. Qualitative Health Research 2008;18:1206-19.
- Ball GDC, Lenk JM, Barbarich BN, Plotnikoff RC, Fishburne G, Mackenzie KA, Willows ND. Overweight children and adolescents referred for weight management: Are they meeting lifestyle behaviour recommendations? Applied Physiology, Nutrition & Metabolism 2008;33:936-45.
Mr. Arnaldo Perez Garcia
Ms. Jillian Avis
Ms. Mahitab Hnabazaza
Canadian Obesity Network